The restoration of the Palace at Nakło is an ongoing process. The renovations began in 2004 with heavy engineering work intended to hydro insulate and strengthen the foundation. A new roof and roof subsctructure were completed in 2009. Interior work carried out since that time provides our guests spacious, comfortable accommodations complete with modern amenities.
The Palace was designed by the Enlightenment-era economist and architect Jan Ferdynand Nax (1736-1810), and completed in 1780. It was originally built as a residence for Kayetan Bystrzonowski and his new bride Marcyanna Młodzianowska. The original estate was on a vast swath of land that had been deeded to the groom as a dowry from his future wife years earlier, in 1764.
The palace and estate had a number of successive owners beginning in the mid-19th century, when names such as Bukowski, Mohl and Komorowski show up on the ownership papers. The Komorowski family retained the property until the end of World War II, when it was confiscated by Poland’s communist government, and vast tracts of the original estate were divided among local farmers. The Palace building itself eventually served as a farming school and later, beginning in 1955, as a state-run orphanage.